Problems Installing WordPress on ICDSoft

9

If you are working on installing WordPress on an ICDSoft hosted website and are carefully following the steps of the 5 minute installation, you will have no doubt run into a Cannot Connect to Database error.

If you have indeed followed all of the instructions up to this point, you would have created a MYSQL database and ensured the user of this database has sufficient access privileges. The reason you are seeing this error is because the path to the Database host on ICDSoft is not the standard path suggested by WordPress.

Ironically, in earlier version of the wp-config file, there is a comment beside the DB_HOST field that says there is a 99% chance you won’t need to change this value. Well, ICDSoft users fall into the 1% category that will have to change this value. The code from the wp-config file is displayed below:

// ** MySQL settings ** //

define(‘DB_NAME’, ‘database_name’); // The name of the database

define(‘DB_USER’, ‘username’); // Your MySQL username

define(‘DB_PASSWORD’, ‘password’); // …and password

define(‘DB_HOST’, ‘localhost:/tmp/mysql5.sock‘); // 99% chance you won’t need to change this value

define(‘DB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8′);

define(‘DB_COLLATE’, ”);

As highlighted in bold, the correct path for the DB_HOST is not localhost, it’s localhost:/tmp/mysql5.sock

Add this to your config file, revisit wp-admin/install.php and you are good to go!

Here’s a promo code for 20% your hosting package if you want: http://www.icdsoft.com/promo-code/ICDsoft20

  • http://www.goldenboymedia.co.uk Daniel

    You are a f***ing genius!! Been trying for 2 hours to set up my wordpress on my server but just wasn’t happening.

    Great that icdsoft falls into that 1% category :-s

    Thanks Neil

  • http://www.goldenboymedia.co.uk Daniel

    Oops, i thought it worked, which it did, except i cant see any styles… Neither can i open /wp-admin

    Any ideas Neil?

    Thanks

  • http://www.elbowroomdesign.com Neil

    @Daniel Hey, glad to help! What do you mean by styles? Have you completed the install process?

  • http://www.goldenboymedia.co.uk Daniel

    It’s working now Neil, thanks again for your help.

  • http://liznessstudio.com Liz Ness

    Thanks for this AWESOME tip! You ROCK! =)

  • http://actualidea.com mickey

    wow, thanks so much!!!

  • Ann

    Thank you for posting this! You saved me loads of time and I really appreciate it.

  • David North

    Nice job sir. Was just going to setup a WordPress site for the first time and knpowing how many quirks I’ve had with Perl scripts, phpAutoMembersArea and the like I thought I’d check for comments. Yours was at the top of the list.

    ICDSoft support is fantastic btw and I’ve never had a problem not getting assistance but this was a nice upfront answer ahead of time.

    Thanks!

  • http://www.elbowroomdesign.com Neil

    @David North Glad you found this helpful! I agree with you on support. I’ve found ICDSoft support always helpful and quick!